Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Pinching Strawberry Flowers

Today, I found the first flowers on my Albion Strawberry Plants.

I had planted the plants in my Strawberry Tower almost a month ago and they have been growing wonderfully.

Unfortunately, I had to pinch the flowers off.

I want the Strawberry plants to develop stronger root systems and to concentrate energy on producing more leaves than producing fruit at this time.

Since Albion Strawberry plants are of the day neutral variety, the plants will continue to produce flowers and fruit throughout the year.

I plan to continue to remove flowers for another few weeks, until each plant has grown five sets of leaves, before I let the plant start producing fruit.

If I had Junebearing Strawberry plants, I would be more reluctant to remove flowers, as this would delay harvesting Strawberries for an entire year.

This is one of the advantages of growing day neutral Strawberry plants. I can afford to sacrifice a month of Strawberries for higher yielding and larger Strawberries for the rest of the year.


1 comment:

  1. Since Albion Strawberry plants are of the day neutral variety, the plants will continue to produce flowers and fruit throughout the year.berry plants

    ReplyDelete