Saturday, March 7, 2009

Building a Strawberry Tower - Adding Mulch

I found Algae growing in the Strawberry Tower!

You can see the Algae in the green spots in the picture on the right.

The same moist soil that Strawberry plants is also the type of soil that Algae like.

In order to stop the Algae from growing, I could either let the soil dry out or I could block the sunlight from reaching the Algae.

I decided on the latter approach and applied a layer of mulch on top of the soil.

The type of mulch I used was Coconut Coir fiber.

I had brought 4 large bales of Coconut Coir last year, so I had plenty lying around in the garage.

The Coconut Coir is light weight and drains well.

It did not take much to cover the entire Strawberry Tower.

Applying a layer of mulch has the added benefit of keeping the soil moist. This is especially important when Summer comes.




No comments:

Post a Comment