Saturday, May 2, 2009

Purple Okinawan Sweet Potato

Okinawan Sweet Potatoes are a type of sweet potato that is characterized by a vibrant purple flesh.  They are very rich in the antioxidant anthocyanins which gives its flesh a purple color.

The Okinawan Sweet Potatoes are very popular in Hawaii.  They are available in local Asian Markets here in Southern California, but are fairly expensive.

I have tried growing slips from Okinawan Sweet Potatoes that I have bought from the market, but without success.  

I think this is because the store bought Okinawan Sweet Potatoes have been irradiated so that they do not bring pests into California.

1 comment:

  1. Hello socal gardener, how are you? I live In South Florida(Miami) I am aware of sweet potato farming over here. I recently stumbled by accident in to these A very funny story actually. An I saw some with withered sprouts and some with sprout trying to come out but are blocked somehow? have you tried again love your advise.

    ReplyDelete