Saturday, January 24, 2009

Winter Melon Seedling Update

I transplanted the three Winter Melon seedlings into 6 inch diameter round containers.

As you can see from the picture to the right, one of seedlings is no longer a seedling but a plant.  These three germinated within two days of each other.  I have never seen a Winter Melon seedling grow so fast.

This plant has grown too tall to put under the grow light.  The heat from the lamp will burn the leaves, if the leaves are within an inch of the bottom of the light bulbs.  I had to move this plant to the side.  Unfortunately, the plant no longer gets any direct light.  

Tomorrow, I need to transplant the plant outside.  I hope it survives.  The worst of winter is over in Southern California.  Night time low temperatures will be above 45 degrees F from here on out.

The other two seedlings are right on track for transplanting outside in a few more weeks.   I'll start hardening them off next weekend by bringing them outside for a few hours during the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment