Sunday, March 14, 2010

Okinawan Sweet Potato cuttings take root

I finally have been able to get some Okinawan Sweet Potato cuttings to take root.

I planted the cuttings in the picture to the right about a month ago. Unlike my previous attempts (see this blog entry). These cuttings did not turn black and die.

I think there are two reasons for this. One, the weather has gotten noticeably warmer. Two, these cuttings were originally planted in small containers (see picture below) in late November.

I kept the containers indoors for most of the Winter. By the time I transplanted the plants into the large container, they had nice healthy roots.


Next year, I plan to do this for all my Okinawan Sweet Potato cuttings. Trying to get cuttings to survive on their own through winter just does not work.

Since the weather is warmer, I will try to get more cuttings to start new plants. But first, I need the one area in my garden where I had Okinawan Sweet Potato plants survive the winter (see picture below) to grow enough new foliage that I can cut off pieces for planting.




No comments:

Post a Comment