Sunday, August 9, 2009

Clone, Cut back or Seed?

What is better?

To Cut back an existing Cherry Tomato Plant, to Clone a plant from another plant, or to start a new plant from seed?


The picture above shows 4 Cherry Tomato plants in my garden.

The two to the left were started from seed about 2 months ago ( see this blog entry)

The one that is third from the left was cloned (see this blog entry) from another Sun Gold Cherry Tomato plant also about 2 months ago.

The one that is at the right was a Sun Gold Cherry Tomato plant that I cut back (i.e. pruned heavily) (see this blog entry) to remove all of the dead branches about a month ago.

The Clone Cherry Tomato plant is doing the best. It is a foot taller than the Cherry Tomato plants that were started from seed. This is the advantage you get by cloning.

The two Cherry Tomato plants that were started from seed are also doing well.

However, the Sun Gold Cherry Tomato plant that I had cut back is not doing well. I think the plant got damaged when I pruned it so much. Next time, I will just remove the plant instead of trying to prolong it's life by pruning.

No comments:

Post a Comment